The redevelopment of the Upper Harbor Terminal (UHT) provides a once-in-a-generation opportunity to create a large-scale, community-building asset in North Minneapolis, grounded in a restorative approach towards racial justice that meets the needs, aspirations and priorities of the nearby residents.
Beginning in 2019, the City of Minneapolis, United Properties, First Avenue, and the Upper Harbor Terminal Collaborative Planning Committee (UHT CPC), a community advisory committee of Northside residents and organizations, began modifying the Upper Harbor Terminal Concept Plan into the Draft Coordinated Plan for redevelopment to achieve more equitable and inclusive outcomes for North Minneapolis. The City of Minneapolis, the UHT CPC, the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board and the development team are committed to ensuring that this development benefits the Northside community.
What is being proposed as part of the redevelopment?
- Sustainable Revenue Streams that go back into North Minneapolis
- Retaining Public Ownership of the Land (City and MPRB)
- Opportunities for Community Ownership
- Ground floor commercial space
- Ownership of the land under the Community Performing Arts Center (CPAC) in partnership with First Avenue
- Rental and ownership housing affordable to current North Minneapolis residents
- Improved Access & Connections to the Mississippi River
- 19.5 acres of new riverfront park and trails
- Community Performing Arts Center (CPAC)
- Northside Community Health & Wellness Hub
- Commercial Spaces for Community Businesses
- 300+ Living Wage Jobs
- 1,200 Anticipated Construction Jobs
What is the timeline?
- November 2020 - January 2021 Outreach and engagement on the Draft Plan and public comment period
- December 2020 - January 2021 Draft Plan out for Public Comment
December 15 2020:
- City Online Open House #1 Video
- City Online Open House #1 Q & A
January 5 2021:
- City Online Open House #2 Video
- City Online Open House #2 Q&A
February 16 2021:
- Draft Coordinated Plan Update to City Council BIHZ Committee (video) (Presentation begins at 32:39 time stamp)
- Draft Plan Update Presentation PDF
- February 2021 - Fall 2021: Environmental Review
- 2022: Work begins on Phase 1 infrastructure and park, followed by Phase 1 development
- 2025: Estimated start of Phase 2 development